Taking care of reptiles such as Blue Tongue Skinks can be challenging for many breeders because they have specific living and care needs. Besides paying attention to the food for them, you should not skip choosing the substrate for them. Choosing the best substrate for blue tongue skinks has a huge impact on their mental health and physical health. On the market today, there are dozens of substrates with full sizes, components, and brands that make it difficult for many new breeders to choose the most appropriate and quality one.
So in this article, I will give you a list of the best substrates for blue tongue skinks. Find out now.
Top 10 Best Substrate for Blue Tongue Skinks
Zoo Med Forest Floor Substrate
- Made of all-natural cypress mulch for your pet’s safety.
- Great for many animals like snakes, amphibians, or tropical species of tortoises.
- The product can be mixed with other substrates, such as coconut husks, sphagnum moss, or coir fiber.
- Soft enough to burrow and not expensive.
- It holds moisture and humidity well. However, it quickly gets moldy when your pet drops some food in it.
Zoo Med Sphagnum Moss
- Keep more water and moisture longer than any other moss.
- Environmental friendliness
- The mosses are from places with mild climates, such as North America, New Zealand, and Ireland.
- Ideas of reptiles, especially for the blue tongue skink.
- Its high mold resistance and good moisture retention keep your pet more comfortable in its terrarium.
- The natural compounds in moss prevent it from rotting in humid environments.
Reptile Prime Coconut Fiber Substrate
- Great for blending with cypress or topsoil.
- The optimal substrate for the terrestrial setup for reptiles, amphibians or invertebrates, and more.
- An environmentally friendly product and made from coconut husks.
- No dust. The bag is recyclable and reusable.
- It can hold moisture well and can be used as dry or damp.
- With the ability to absorb your pet’s waste, it keeps the terrarium fresh and clean.
Zoo Med Repti Bark Bedding
- Provide your terrarium with a natural rainforest look.
- It has the ability to absorb moisture and then release it to create moisture.
- Reusable and super easy to maintain
- It is reusable and super easy to maintain and store.You should soak it in hot water every 2 to 3 months for a fresh, clean bark.
- It should be replaced at least once a year
- Note: You should mix this product with sphagnum moss, cypress mulch or topsoil to increase moisture retention.
Kaytee Aspen Substrate
- Made of all-natural aspen with no scents, oils, or inks, so they’re safe for pets
- It’s light and soft so your pet can easily hide and burrow.
- This product looks very nice in the enclosure.
- It retains moisture and humidity well.
- Its shavings have incredible absorbency, so it supports to keep the living environment clean.
T-Rex Sani-Chips Substrate
- The Sani-chip works quite well in absorbing moisture and keeping moisture stable.
- Much smaller than ordinary chips.
- Ideal for Corn Snakes, King Snakes, Geckos, Bearded Dragons and many other reptiles.
- It is a light, odorless, easy to clean, and dust-free substrate.
- Made from renewable resources.
- Very flexible and soft enough for your pet to easily move and burrow into it.
- Available in 4qt and 8qt bags.
- The only downside of this substrate is that it easily gets moldy when wet. And you should replace it immediately if it is too wet.
Exo Terra Coco Husk Substrate
- Made from all-natural coconut husk material.from the plantations of tropical Asia.
- Designed for reptiles.
- Work pretty well in retaining humidity, absorbing moisture inside the terrarium
- The substrate is low in dust and helps minimize the messes and odor in your pet’s habitat.
- A little heavier than other fibers, but it is still soft enough to be buried by your skinks.
Zilla Bark Blend
- Made from 100% organic bark without being mixed with dyes.
- Zilla Bark Blend is heat treated to effectively absorb moisture and helps maintain moisture in the terrarium.
- Help eliminate unwanted pests found naturally in tree bark, creating a healthy environment for your reptiles.
- Perfect For Chameleons, Frogs, Rainforest Geckos, and Salamanders and Newts.
Zilla Aspen Substrate
- 100% natural and environmentally friendly
- Contain no toxic resins or oils to ensure your pet’s safety.
- Ideal for many animals like Skinks, Snakes, Monitors, and Swifts.
- Made from premium white fir bark with ground eucalyptus.
- Great in maintaining moisture at a stable level of the terrarium.
- It has an ultra-absorbent feature to make your pet comfortable.
Carefresh Complete Pet Bedding
- Made from 100 % natural fibers.
- Lightweight, soft, and smooth for skinks to easily burrow into them.
- Ideas for guinea pigs, rabbits, hamsters, gerbils, rats, mice, and chinchillas and more.
- Low dust and easy to clean.
- It is very absorbent to help reduce the mess.
- However, this product is not specifically designed for skinks